Tuesday 28 May 2013

tasty tuesday: coconut bark


My family has recently started using coconut oil, and man is it delicious.  I am not going to lie, sometimes I just eat it... like with a spoon.  


 I don't care if that makes me a weirdo!  It is so smooth and coconutty, totally worth any judgement I may receive.


However, I recently discovered a recipe for coconut bark on Kasey's Kitchen, and I knew I had to try it out.  With crunchy coconut and semi-sweet or dark chocolate, it is way better than plain coconut oil!


Coconut Bark

Ingredients:
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup coconut oil
1 cup chocolate chips

A sprinkling of salt

Directions
1. Melt coconut oil. You don't have to completely melt it, but enough so you can easily mix in the coconut and spread it in a pan.
2. Mix in both coconuts. (I like the bark not super sweet, but if you have more of a sweet tooth, feel free to use all sweetened coconut, or all unsweetened if you like. I like the crunch the unsweetened has!
3. Line a 9x13 (or something similar, I didn't quite fill mine up - it just depends how thick you want it) with tin foil. *Check out the neat trick my mom showed me!
4. Press the coconut mixture in the pan. Spread it out evenly, and however thick you want!
5. Let this set in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes.
6. Melt the chocolate, and spread evenly over the cooled mixture.
7. Sprinkle a bit of salt over the top!
8. Pop back in the fridge, and let the chocolate harden.
9. When it has set break or cut into pieces.

*Also, we learned a new and ridiculously easy way to help line a pan with tinfoil!  First, measure out your tinfoil, and then turn your pan upside down, and fold the tinfoil around it.  Then, turn your pan right side up, and place your tinfoil inside!  Your tinfoil will be a teensy bit too big, but it's much easier to handle this way!


I have made this recipe 3 or 4 times in the last couple of weeks. It is a great go to snack when you need just a little something! I have made it in bark form and in puck form, using mini muffin tins. I put them in the freezer for a bit, and then just flipped it upside down and they all popped out! I have experimented with a few different things, using dark chocolate, and drizzling the chocolate instead of spreading (for those who are watching their sugar intake), as well as varying levels of sweetness. All have been great, and everyone in the family likes something a little bit different! I have even left an entire corner chocolate free for my mom!


So have fun with this recipe! It is very forgiving, and I'm sure any changes or additions will work just fine.

Enjoy!

p.s.   jordyn & kelsey 



4 comments:

  1. Sounds & looks amazing, I love coconut yumm!

    Harri

    at-rubik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Harri! coconut is definitely one of our all-time faves =)

      Delete
  2. I made this when I first read the recipe and they are Devine, I put them in foil mini-cupcake wrappers. I am going to make them again today. Hard to believe something so easy could be so delicious. Thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea :)
      It is definitely a staple sweet at our house!

      Delete

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...